Friday, February 24, 2006

The last two weeks

For the first week since my return from Australia, I was busy splitting the original SWAT code into four separate parts: Storytron (the user interface for the player); Engine (calculates the development of the story); Swat (the editor for storybuilders); and Uber (containing all elements common to the other three parts). That was a lot of work, disentangling all the various bits and pieces, but now it's complete. For the last week, I have been completely rewriting the code that reads storyworlds, because my original code, although it worked just fine, is brittle and inelegant. With Dave's guidance, I was redesigning that code to make it more elegant and maintainable. When I got it done, it was much better than the original code: easy to read, highly maintainable, and elegant. There was just one small problem: it wouldn't work. It turns out that the Document structure in Java has some hidden features that torpedo my elegant code. After much hand-wringing, I decided to throw away all that work and revert to the previous code. Who cares if it's inelegant, hard to read, and impossible to maintain? That's not MY problem -- it's Dave's!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sean Givan said...

Couldn't you give your revised code to Dave, and see if he can work around the problems with the Document class? Rather than have to work with difficult code all around.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home