Sunday, February 26, 2006

Loading and Saving complete

Yesterday I completed the code for loading and saving storyworlds. This code has cost us a great deal of trouble, as we wanted to build it right the first time. However, I have decided to just get it working for now, and we can go back and make it bulletproof later. For example, right now the storyworld is stored in eight different files. This is vulnerable to user abuse. If the user somehow goes into the files and swaps an old one with a newer one, it's possible that the code could get confused and screw up everything. This is poor programming practice; a good program protects the user from such mistakes. But for now, I shall ignore that vulnerability and press ahead with getting SWAT up and running.

So at last I return to the matter of adding the last features to SWAT. In all honesty, I'm not sure where to go at this point; there are lots of features to be added but I don't have a clear sense of priorities, so I'm going to spend some time just playing with SWAT, looking for the places that pinch. I'll build a priority list from there.

4 Comments:

Anonymous aevarsson said...

What kind of a user interface is used to interact with the storyworld in Storytronics. Does it use text or mouse input? I am also wondering about voice, is it possible to interact with the Storyworld using voice input?

An interesting feature would be to have a webcamera to track peoples expressions, and where they are looking while interacting with the storyworld. I dont know if this is actually possible, but it could make for interesting interaction.

4:52 PM  
Blogger Chris Crawford said...

You know, we've been needing to get a screen mockup of the Storytron onto this site for weeks now. I'll see what I can do and make an announcement when we have something ready.

5:55 PM  
Anonymous Paul Eres said...

I'm glad to see you starting a new blog, Chris et al (if you don't remember me, you signed a virtual autograph for me once in Europe, and I'm also the one who told you that Wizard had been released for the Atari Flashback; I also sponsor a contest called the Human Day contest in which your book on game design is the grand prize).

I have a recommendation: because you're using this for news, it'd be useful to note the RSS feed of this blog somewhere on your website. Because I know how blogger works, I was able to add the RSS feed to my RSS reader, it's http://storytron.blogspot.com/atom.xml -- but others might not be able to figure this out as easily.

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Paul Eres said...

There also seems to be some type of problem with commenting: under each comment it lists the *time* that comment was posted, but not the *date*. Maybe this is just my computer, but it's odd to have a time without a date.

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home